Ely Demoted, Weaver Activated

The Dodgers made the expected (if not necessarily logical) roster move Friday night, activating reliever Jeff Weaver from the 15-day disabled list and optioning rookie starter John Ely back to Triple-A Albuquerque. The move comes one day after Ely delivered a superb start against the Brewers, allowing one earned run in 6 2/3 innings. Manager Joe Torre had said before and after Ely’s Thursday night start that he was likely to be demoted regardless of how he pitched because of roster concerns. — Ken Gurnick

Furcal Disabled

The Dodgers placed shortstop Rafael Furcal on the 15-day disabled list Tuesday with a strained left hamstring and purchased the contract of Nick Green from Triple-A Albuquerque. — Ken Gurnick

Green to Replace Furcal?

The early removal of infielder Nick Green from Monday night’s Albuquerque Isotopes game further fueled speculation that the Dodgers will place shortstop Rafael Furcal on the disabled list Tuesday with a right hamstring strain. Furcal was injured in the first game of last Tuesday’s double-header in New York trying to beat out a double-play grounder. He underwent a platelet-rich plasma injection Thursday to promote healing and has missed six games. This will be Furcal’s third trip to the disabled list in his five seasons with the Dodgers. — Ken Gurnick

Ely Likely for Wednesday

The likely starting pitcher for the Dodgers Wednesday is 23-year-old right-hander John Ely, obtained with Jon Link from the White Sox in the off-season trade for Juan Pierre. Ely’s name dropped out of the probable pitchers list for the Triple-A Albuquerque Dukes and showed up in the Dodgers clubhouse Tuesday, although there was still no confirmation from the team. The Dodgers need a pitcher Wednesday to take the place of disabled Opening Day starter Vicente Padilla. Ely is a 23-year-old right-hander taken in the third round of the 2007 draft out of Miami (Ohio) University by Chicago. He went 14-2 with a 2.82 ERA at Double-A last year and is 2-1 with a 3.00 ERA in three starts for Albuquerque, having last pitched Apr. 21. He has 12 strikeouts, but also eight walks, in 18 innings. — Ken Gurnick

Tuesday’s Starter Still Unknown

It’s hoped manager Joe Torre can shed some light today on who will start Tuesday night’s game in New York, but no clear choice has emerged to replace Vicente Padilla, who was disabled Saturday. The first preference would be a Minor Leaguer currently on the 40-man Major League roster, but among them Scott Elbert not only has a ?8.36 ERA after three starts, but he just left Triple-A Albuquerque for the birth of his child, with journeyman Seth Etherton taking his spot. James McDonald is on the disabled list with two cracked fingernails. Brent Leach and Travis Schlichting are on the 40-man, but are relievers. — Ken Gurnick

Ausmus Scheduled for Back Surgery

Dodgers disabled catcher Brad Ausmus will have back surgery Thursday morning to repair a herniated disc. The surgery will be performed by Dr. Robert Watkins Jr. and the club said it hopes to have Ausmus back on the field late this summer. Ausmus is 41 and on the disabled list for the first time in a 17-season career. — Ken Gurnick

Ethier Back in Lineup

Andre Ethier returned to the Dodgers lineup Tuesday, although manager Joe Torre said he wasn’t sure if Ethier’s turned ankle wouldn’t fatigue during the game.

Ethier missed four starts on the opening trip after turning the left ankle returning to first base on a pickoff attempt Wednesday night. He pinch-hit Saturday and Sunday. — Ken Gurnick

Ausmus Injured, Ellis Recalled

The Dodgers Saturday placed catcher Brad Ausmus on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to Friday, with a pinched nerve in his lower back and recalled A.J. Ellis from Triple-A Albuquerque. — Ken Gurnick

Monasterios Makes the Team

Rule 5 draft pick Carlos Monasterios has made the Dodgers Opening Day roster, but manager Joe Torre said he won’t announce whether the Dodgers will carry 11 or 12 pitchers until Sunday. — Ken Gurnick

Repko Released; Stults Cleared to Leave

The Dodgers released outfielder Jason Repko Wednesday, saving $375,000 of his $500,000 salary. Repko had been passed on the outfield depth chart by Xavier Paul.

The Dodgers also announced that Eric Stults had cleared release waivers, allowing him to officially sign a deal with Hiroshima of the Japan League. — Ken Gurnick